In golf, the physical aspect is only one part of the game. And separating yourself from the competition will require you to develop mental toughness and winner’s mindset. However, getting this state of mind would be much quicker thanks to a process of mental coaching instead of sifting through articles and books. Below are some benefits of having a mental coach for each golf player
Improve your mental skills during practice and performance
Where you focus before and during a golf round, it will have an effect on your performance. If you do not have mental skills or plan to remain relaxed, positive and focused, you won’t be able to perform at the best physical skills. In general, a good mental coach would understand exactly which mental problems in golf you are facing and how to what skill you need to build to eliminate them.
Help you to prepare for a competition
How you prepare for a tournament during the time leading up to it would make a big difference in your final results. In other words, it is really important to pay attention to the preparation process, not the final result. Setting a good mental plan is essential to stay calm and get ready for a goof performance.
Boost your confidence
Competitive golf players could often be excessively critical of themselves, which would damage their confidence. Thus, a good mental coach could help to reinforce the positive, and highlight the talents of a player to make them feel better about their golf game.
Help you to deal with setback
Accepting and dealing with failure are always the keys that any successful golf players try to improve. The job of a mental coach is to help a golfer look at his weaknesses objectively and consider it as a positive experience to learn.
Setting goals and keep you accountable
If a golf player, particularly a younger one, does not have accountability for completing his planned goals for the performance on a golf course, he could often let everything slide. Therefore, a good mental coach could provide much necessary accountability for process goals and good practice. In addition, a coach should also help you to set suitable to stay motivated to complete these goals.
Help you to deal with pressure
No matter how perfect your golf skills are, you will never reach your best skills if you could not deal with pressure. In fact, learning how to deal with pressure by applying some techniques in reducing stress is a necessary skill that any golf player who wants to be a good player needs to develop ( click here to learn some useful tips in dealing with pressure).
How does mental coaching work in golf?
Discussion topics between student and coach (bi-weekly or weekly)
- Performance problems that makes you worry
- Emotional problem that holds you back
- Growing awareness of what is causing good and bad performances
- Learning the ways to help emotional and mental control
- Where to place your focus during a round and quieten your mind
- Developing body language
Assignments and exercises:
- Scorecard for mental game
- Process of reviewing after each round
- Success log: building self-image and highlighting success
- Mental rehearsal or visualization exercises
- Mindfulness or relaxation exercises
- Effective practice: making practice more difficult than a real game
- Pre-round routine
Why does mental coaching work in golf
- The coach is a neutral person: many golfers can often find it hard to talk to their family and parents about what is holding them back
- Many years of experience in working with different golf players